main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The best platform to trade all collectible card games!

Miniature Trading
Let us find for you the miniatures you need MiniatureTrading.com

Trade Cards Online
Facebook badge

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Gencon Set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> The X-Files CCG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject: Gencon Set   PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quote

I've managed to get a set of the GenCon cards for this game, which predate the Premiere edition and have a back that has "For Demonstration Purposes Only" printed across the bottom section of the back picture. I can scan these and add them -- but they deserve to be their own expansion, rather that tossed in with the Promos. I base this on the card numbers ending in the word "Gcon" rather than "PR" like the standard Promos. The images on the cards all differ from the published versions, at least slightly; and there are a few cards (at least one) that didn't make it into the published set. What's the best way to get these listed properly? There's no way to add a new expansion to a game marked as dead.
lazarus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote

thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote

Thank you! That looks as if it should work. It may be a few days before I can actually post everything, but I'll be giving it a try soon.
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote

Tried using that to upload the first 20 cards (it seems easier to add cards using the "Add Card" feature than to worry about format and how many tabs to use to get to the right descriptor). Unfortunately, the card numbers are too long for the database: they only allow 11 characters, and the actual card numbers look like "XF96-0010 GCon". That's 14 characters long. Can this be fixed? If it's a total pain to do so, which I can understand -- I could cut out the space and the "on" and call them "XF96-00##GC" for the sake of listing them, and put notes with each card giving the full number.
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote

Also -- in terms of Rarity, should these be marked as "Fixed" or "Promo"? They were only available as a promotional set, so they're actually both: the cards in each set were the same ("Fixed") but they were used to promote the game at GenCon ("Promo"). It's more important to get them listed than it is to resolve this issue, but I'd like to know which would be preferred.
lazarus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Going off of my experiences uploading for a couple of the games I play, I'd say use Promo as the rarity.

I'm not sure what you should do for the card numbers though.

I don't know if it would upload properly, but maybe set up a file with just the first card in the set. Put it in the format they want with all the tabs right, and upload it as Gen Con Promos.

If it accepts it, then do like you said and use the "add card" feature for the new set and leave the "GCon" off of the card number.
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject: Will try that   PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I think I'll mark the cards as "XF96-####GC" and put a note saying what the appropriate number actually is with each one. I've got the first 20 ready to add in a text file, and I'm sure I'll need to modify that to get everything into the right column. After that, loading the rest by hand should be fairly easy, and getting pix taken and associated will take another bit of time (this is not the highest priority in my life, but I'd like to get it done!). Thanks for the suggestions, and the feedback!
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote

It needs at least 5 cards to post a set. I'm going through the brute-force method of eliminating all the errors that it finds in each of the first 5 cards; I'll then correct them once they're up, and add the others. Oy. Slow work! But we'll eventually get there, and I do think the set needs to be included. I'll also have a photo of the card backs as an unnumbered card, since it differs from the standard back in having added text.
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject: Proceeding!   PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote

I've input the first half, and most of them are awaiting approval. I've got the others ready to add, one at a time, and I'll be uploading them over the weekend. Then it's time to add the pictures!
thoshmore
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Cards all entered. When they're approved, I'll go through to clean up typos and make a few other corrections, and start adding pictures. Since the back is different from the standard X-Files back, I'm planning on posting a shot of the back -- it'll have no standard number, but I'll give it an identifier like "GenCon back". And I've noticed at least one serious change in functionality from other sets which I'll add to the comments (and see if I can find more). The Albert Hosteen Agent card lets you pick a Site from an opponent's hand, and get something useful. In the Promo set, it doesn't say you have to tell the other player which site it is!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> The X-Files CCG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: